Thursday, June 26, 2008

Baseball, BBQ brisket, bathingsuits and the Beattys!

So crazy and wonderful things happen in Kansas! Yesterday was one of those crazy wonderful days!



I tried to be a good mom and took the boys to the pool in the morning. They had a blast and were really good. (Even my wild 1 year old!) We came home just in time for lunch, and after I had the kids settled in, I checked the phone for messages. I noticed that my dear friend Denise had called but left no message. I quickly called her back to find out they were in St. Louis heading west and wanted to meet for dinner.

I insisted they stay here so the kids could play and swim. They reluctantly agreed. At about 4:00 that afternoon they rolled in. We were so excited to see them. Mike even managed to leave work early! Denise and I took the kids to the pool while Mike and Troy picked up some BBQ for dinner.

It was so great to see them! Denise is one of those people who never ceases to amaze me! Even with her six kids, she accomplishes so much! She is the scrapbooking queeen! She sews the most amazing Halloween costumes for the whole family and she is a great cook! (I also love that she gave up a law career to stay home and raise her kids!)

It was so fun to catch up with her family and to finally meet little Katie. What a doll! My boys were in heaven with so many fun kids to play with. Mike loved spending time with Troy. We had a wonderful BBQ dinner from Oklahoma Joes - great stuff! (Thanks Troy!)

I abandoned them though to go to a Royals game. One of my cute friends called earlier in the week with an extra dugout seat right on first base because her husband hadn't wanted to go. We had a great time at the game and the Royals even won!

Troy decided he wanted to get an early start for the drive the next day. So at about 2:30 am he began loading the van up. By 3:00 am the kids were loaded in and they were on their way west. (And I thought 5:30 was getting up early!)

It was too short of a visit, but I'm so glad they came. Maybe next time I can bribe them to stay longer... any ideas?

3 comments:

Denise said...

Well, I feel EXACTLY the same way about you!

It was so fun to visit and if I have any say in it, we will stay longer next time!!!!

We love you guys.

Shannon said...

Oh, how fun! I wish my friends would come and visit me in Kansas. I wish!!

Lara said...

What a fun surprise for you! We always make the drive to CO and UT straight through without stopping, except for the necessities.

What a novel concept to stop and visit a FRIEND! That sounds like a really fun diversion among the rest areas and gas stations!