Thursday, June 12, 2008

Why I love Kansas

So tonight was our first tornado warning here in Kansas. It was pretty exciting. Mike and I took the boys on a walk to drop of some brownies to Scott Morris. He helped me with George's birthday party - another post for another day... It is about half a mile to the Morris home. The boys were on their bikes, Mike and I were walking, and Clifton was in the backpack.

The sky looked a little ominous and we knew that there was a storm comming in tonight. It was warm and incredibly humid. We dropped off the brownies and began our walk home.

As we began walking the tornado sirens started going off. For those of you who have never experineced a tornado siren, they are incredibly loud high pitched almost wailing sound. There are numerous towers throughout the area from which the sirens are broadcast.

The rain had not yet begun and there was no wind - not a good sign in tornado country. We began walking faster, and the boys began riding their bikes faster. We had walked maybe a block with the sirens going before a 20 something guy driving an SUV pulled over. He asked if he could give us a ride somewhere. I thanked him and said we were close to home.

We then began jogging and the boys were flying on their bikes. About 1/2 a block latter, a woman in a mini van pulled over and told me that the funnel sightings were in DeSoto (about 25 miles away) so I had a little time. She also asked if she could help. I thanked her for the information and said that we were close to home.

We were still jogging when another woman in another mini van made a U-turn and pulled along side us. She asked if we were close to home and if she could help get us home. At this point we were only about a block away. I thanked her, and told her we lived just around the corner.

We hurried home and I quickly put away the loose toys and wiggle cars in the backyard so the wind wouldn't throw them around. Mike came out and told me to get inside. The boys were all down in the basement eating brownies and watching footage of a funnel cloud comming up I-35 - not too far from where we live.

Fortunately soon after, the National Weather Service ended the warning, and the excitement was over.

Now we have a wild and beautiful thunderstorm roaring overhead.

The most amazing part though was the genuine concern from the people here. I couldn't believe that three complete strangers would all offer to help us in less than 15 minutes. By helping us, they were potentially putting themselves in danger by being away from safety while transporting us.

There really is something amazing about the people here in Kansas...

5 comments:

Lara said...

Having grown up in Minnesota--I can totally relate with you both fronts; the ominous tornado siren sound that struck fear into our hearts every time AND the kind-heartedness of the midwesterners. There definitely is a more laid-back, concerned attitude, which I miss.
I'm glad all is well and that you were able to make it home safely before the storm came.

Katie said...

Wow!! I am almost sorry I missed the storm... ;0 You are right, the people in Kansas are absolutely fantastic. We sure miss it! Glad everyone got safely home.

Windybrook Spinner said...

Tornados are the main reason I hope to never live in the midwest, but that is so awesome about the kindness of the people there. I would hope that would happen here. Maybe living where there are tornados makes people more humble? I'm glad you were okay. At least you have a basement. My Nashville in-laws don't and riding out tornado weather at their house eight years ago was frightening.

S&J Jones Family said...

Wow, that's kind of funny but I bet it was a little scary at the time. Did the kids get scared when they were riding their bikes?

Johnny and Angela Dayton said...

Stay safe you guys. It is fun to read updates on your life!